Happy Friday the 13th. So let's see.. Beware of black cats, don't walk under a ladder and don't open an umbrella in the house...just a few superstitions associated with Friday the 13th. I have a very, very, very long list of superstitions that was instilled in me from when I was a young girl. Instilled by my very Italian mother.
* Never put shoes on the bed, its bad luck, means death will come (same goes for a Hat)
* Never put a loaf of bread upside down on the table
* If you hear a dog howling for more than 3 nights - death is coming
* If you put an article of clothing on inside out - leave it that way
* If a bird flies in the house - death is coming
* Spill the Olive Oil - watch out - death is coming
(Moral of these superstitions...Death is always coming -Shocker!!!)
And so I can go on and on - I can actually write a book. My Irish father use to laugh at her and roll his eyes, She is truly committed to these beliefs. My brother and I would roll our eyes and sometimes put the bread upside down on the table on purpose and wait for to see her reaction. Sad thing is, at the age of 50, I am just as superstitious as she is and I try not to let the girls see the hair onmy arms stand up when they put their shoes on the bed.
Italian Mothers they are the best not only are they the best cooks, they keep you on your toes and they teach you how to keep death away for as long as possible!